top of page
Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 4.54.42 AM.png


The Purpose of the Committee on Student Transition functions to integrate advocacy and supportive roles for parents, teachers, and students transitioning from the NYC Department of Education to vocational settings in the workforce.  The committee is equally involved with supporting teachers, families, and students transition from NYC schools to their selection of full-time day programs. Concurrent with other New York State and city agencies as well as federal programs, the committee actively engages and endeavors to enlist business leaders and decision maker’s opportunities for vocational training placement with an eventual goal of employing District 75 graduates.

7_14_2022, 4_49_13 PM.jpeg
Chair- Kristie Montalvan 
7_14_2022, 5_03_44 PM.jpeg
Co-Chair- Patricia Jewett

 Turning 5 - Kindergarten

Elementary Transitions 

Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 1.42.06 PM.png

High School Transitions


All the necessary paperwork for Guardianship: The waiver document is only used if either parent or siblings are not going to be a guardian or standby. You are allowed up to three standby's and they do not have to be present when you speak to the judge, only the guardians and student need to be present. The new psychological and psycho/social need to be submitted when applying for guardianship. The Affidavit should be written by the psychologist who did the testing. The physician or neurologist can fill out the Affirmation but should refer to the Affidavit that the psychologist wrote.

The Request for information needs to have guardians addresses listed for 28 years with no gap in between

Guardianship Petition
Consent, Oath and Designation
Affirmation of Examining
Request for Guardian Information
Affidavit of Examining Physicianor Licensed Psychologist
Waiver Form
Extension of Services

Transition Support Consultancy Services for Students 21+

Students with IEPs who need to be connected with adult/postsecondary services or instruction

but have otherwise completed school will be offered transition support consultancy services.

Transition support consultancy services are individualized services to meet the needs of the

student, depending on their post-school goals. This includes:

• Assisting with eligibility for adult services through Office for People With Developmental

Disabilities (OPWDD)

• Intakes at adult service agencies

• Intakes at Adult Career and Continuing Educational Services- Vocational Rehabilitation

(ACCES-VR) and/or other vocational programs

• College applications and supporting documents

• Any other connections or referrals that need to be made in order to ensure that the

student will be engaged in the appropriate adult programs and services

Transition support consultancy services will end once post-school programs and services are

secured or the parent decides that they are no longer necessary because they are securing the

appropriate adult program or services for the young adult on their own.

Every effort should be made to continue to support a student’s linkage to an appropriate

postsecondary program and/or services, per established transition goals, including for students

who have been offered extension of instruction services. Review information to determine where

students are in the process of determining OPWDD eligibility.

Establishing OPWDD eligibility is a critical first step toward accessing adult services for many


Steps in the process are listed in the chart below, along with whether the student should be

invited back for extension of instruction services or offered transition support consultancy


Protect Your Child's Rights to COVID-19-Related Compensatory Education

Protect Your Child's Rights to COVID-19-Related Compensatory Education.  Get the facts on:

  1. What is Compensatory Education? / ¿Qué es educación compensatoria?

  2. Who is eligible? / ¿Quién es/puede serele gible para recibir educación compensatoria?

  3. How to ask for compensatory education / ¿Como pido educación compensatoria?

Select the language this document is available in below or, click the download button to download the entire package.


Transition & College Access Centers (TCAC)

The Transition and College Access Centers (TCACs) are devoted to ensuring that students with disabilities are prepared for postsecondary life experiences. TCACs support schools and families by facilitating a seamless transition for students from school to adult life in preparation to be productive members of society. In addition to college readiness resources and supports, these centers will also facilitate diverse work-based learning opportunities for students with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs). 

Transition means preparing students for adult life. Whether it's preparing to attend college, enter the workforce, or live independently for the first time, TCACs exist to help students with IEPs achieve their goals, and support families and school staff in planning for their students' life after high school. 

Work-based Learning programs provide opportunities for students to gain real-life work experience through internships and employment. 

Training Opportunities Program (TOP) - students participate in internships.

Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) - Youth between the ages of 14 and 21 participate in paid employment for up to six weeks in July and August. 

For more information please contact: 

  • Manhattan 212-609-8491

  • Brooklyn 718-804-6790

  • Bronx 718-581-2250

  • Queens 718-557-2782

  • Staten Island 718-420-5723

Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 4.44.49 PM.png


NYC Connects

NY Connects is your trusted place to go for free, unbiased information about long term services and supports in New York State for people of all ages or with any type of disability.

New York State Commission for the Blind


bottom of page